Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Sibes


Seven years ago, when I was still doing rescue and fostering, I got a message about two beautiful white Sibes that had been left at the Chilton County Animal Shelter. They were gorgeous, and since the shelter really didn't have any room for them, I went to get them. Left that morning headed up I-65, and got just this side of Montgomery, and realized I needed gas. Pulled into a station, and lo and behold, didn't have my wallet.
I'd left it sitting on the bar.
I scrounged $12 out of the pockets and bottom of my purse (gas was MUCH cheaper then) and went on...knowing I wasn't going to have enough gas to get there and back home.
Oh, well...cross that bridge, when I get to it.
Got to the shelter, and found the dogs.
They had closed and left for the day, but, knowing I was coming, had left the gate unlocked for me.
I went in and managed to get the female just fine, but this HUGE black dog would NOT let me get close to the male. Started a fight with him, everytime he got near me. Well, with no one there to help me get him, I had to leave him.
He did get placed in a good home in Atlanta though, so that worked out very well.
I got as far as I could get on the gas I had, and pulled into a station, and went in, and explained to the lady that I needed gas, but had no cash, or credit card, having left my wallet at home. I did however have my checkbook, and would she PLEASE take a check for my gas, so I could get home ?
She did (Thank You Lord & Lady) and I made it home with Shay.
Well, SHAY turns out, is very much pregnant !
With no information on the dogs (they'd been left chained to the fence at the shelter) we had no idea what we'd end up with..BUT...seven years ago yesterday, Shay gave birth to 5 of the most beautiful little husky pups, you ever saw ! We lost the second pup though.
I kept Kody and Kisha (who I helped deliver) and one of my dearest friends, Madeline, has Shayla and Lakota, in Gulfbreeze. Someone stole Kody from our yard, when they were about a year old (hope you are doing fine somewhere, little one) and we were left with Kisha, who is still just as fat and sassy as ever. all of them are fine, and much loved. Shay killed my parrot, BB, so I had a really hard time keeping her after that. We found her a good home with a friend of my mother in law, (who didn't have birds) though, and she lived several more years, very happy.
Rescuing and fostering has given me some of the greatest joy in my life. I write this, hoping it will inspire YOU, to do the same.
Happy Birthday Babies !

No comments:

Post a Comment